Blog of Chang

from the computer of chang in the den of chang in the house of chang which belongs to the chang(s)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

It's Not A Tumor

Yesterday I looked at my two little Betta fish and noticed that one had an abnormal growth on his underside. I thought it was strange that my poor little fish (I don't remember which one he is, Waffle or Max, since we got a new little tank for them) would have this growth - and that it happened so fast. I was sure that it was a tumor. Today my little fish is in an almost vertical position and really having a hard time swimming. So, as the good fish parent that I am, I decided to look it up on the internet. We have friends who mentioned something to us about "air bladder" in a goldfish they once had - he lived upside down for days! I found a site on-line that said our fish doesn't have a tumor, but either swim sac infection or constipation (which can lead to swim sac infection). The website also said constipation is common in "older" Betta fish. According to the website, I'm supposed to feed him the inside of a pea and that should help him to, well, be regular again. The good news is that our fish is not terminal, and it is treatable. Hopefully.

Such is life in the House of Chang.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buck and Jess! said...

I had no idea your nursing skills extended to the aquatic world :o)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

I'm sorry about your betta. I wanted to post a comment because I just wrote about betta bloating today in my blog too. I lost my oldest betta this afternoon to Dropsy. I've had him for 3 years.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home